Having a garage can solve the problem of where to keep seasonal items like Christmas decorations and gardening equipment all year round. Once you start physically cramming things inside, however, the available space quickly shrinks.
It doesn’t take long for the garage to get cluttered with a lawnmower, a giant snowman figurine, and the pool equipment from last summer. You’ll need some ingenuity in your storage strategies if you want to park your car in the garage as well.
Making efficient use of the available area is essential. Expert garage storage solutions are great for organisations, but they can be pricey and unnecessary for some people. If you want to save time and money before tackling a major organisation project, try one of these do-it-yourself garage storage ideas.
How Can I Make Cheap Garage Storage?
There are several ways you can make cheap garage storage:
1. Use Recycled Materials:
Using recycled materials is a great way to create cheap garage storage solutions. Here are some ideas:
- Wooden crates: Wooden crates can be used to create shelves or storage units. You can stack them on top of each other or mount them to the wall to create additional storage space.
- Plastic containers: Plastic containers can be used to store smaller items such as screws, bolts, and nails. You can attach them to a pegboard or use them to create a DIY storage bin.
- Cardboard boxes: Cardboard boxes can be cut and folded to create makeshift storage containers. You can cover them with contact paper or spray paint them to make them more durable.
- Pallets: Wooden pallets can be used to create shelves, storage units, or even a workbench. You can stack them on top of each other or use brackets to attach them to the wall.
- PVC pipes: PVC pipes can be used to create a variety of storage solutions. You can cut them into small sections and use them to store tools or create a custom storage system for your sports equipment.
Remember to be creative when using recycled materials for garage storage. With a little imagination, you can turn almost anything into a functional storage solution.
2. DIY Shelving:
DIY shelving is an inexpensive way to add storage to your garage. Here are some steps to follow to create your DIY shelving:
- Measure your space: Measure the area where you want to install your shelving unit. This will help you determine the size and number of shelves you need.
- Gather your materials: You’ll need plywood, 2x4s, brackets, screws, and a saw.
- Cut the plywood: Cut the plywood to the desired size for your shelves. You can cut the plywood yourself using a saw or have it cut at a hardware store.
- Cut the 2x4s: Cut the 2x4s to the length of your shelves. These will be used to create the frame of your shelving unit.
- Assemble the frame: Use the 2x4s to create a frame for your shelving unit. Attach the pieces using screws.
- Attach the brackets: Attach the brackets to the frame using screws. Make sure they are evenly spaced and level.
- Install the shelves: Place the shelves on top of the brackets and attach them using screws.
- Secure the shelving unit: Attach the shelving unit to the wall using L-brackets or other hardware to ensure it is stable and won’t tip over.
Remember to use safety equipment when working with tools and to follow all safety guidelines for your specific project. With a little time and effort, you can create custom DIY shelving that meets your garage storage needs.
Using a pegboard is a great way to organize and store tools and other items in your garage. Here are some steps to follow to install a pegboard in your garage:
- Choose the location: Determine where you want to install your pegboard. Make sure it is easily accessible and in a location where you will use it the most.
- Measure the space: Measure the area where you want to install the pegboard. This will help you determine the size of the pegboard you need.
- Purchase the pegboard: Purchase a pegboard that fits the size of the space you measured. You can find pegboards at most hardware stores.
- Install the hangers: Install hangers onto the wall where you want to hang the pegboard. Make sure they are level and evenly spaced.
- Hang the pegboard: Hang the pegboard onto the hangers. Make sure it is level and secure.
- Add hooks and other storage accessories: Attach hooks, baskets, and other storage accessories onto the pegboard. These can be used to store tools, gardening supplies, and other items.
- Organize your items: Once you have your pegboard and accessories in place, organize your items on the board. This will make it easier to find what you need when you need it.
Remember to choose high-quality hooks and accessories that can support the weight of your items. You may also want to use a stud finder to locate the studs in your wall before installing the hangers to ensure they are securely attached.
4. Repurpose Old Furniture:
Repurposing old furniture is a creative way to add storage to your garage. Here are some steps to follow:
- Choose the furniture: Choose a piece of furniture that you no longer use or want. Some ideas include an old dresser, bookcase, or shelving unit.
- Clean and prep the furniture: Clean the furniture and prep it for painting or refinishing. Sand down any rough spots or peeling paint.
- Paint or refinish the furniture: Paint the furniture with high-quality paint that is suitable for the type of furniture you are repurposing. You can also stain or refinish the furniture to give it a new look.
- Add storage accessories: Once the furniture is painted or refinished, add storage accessories such as baskets, bins, or shelves to create storage space.
- Use the furniture in your garage: Place the repurposed furniture in your garage and use it to store items such as tools, gardening supplies, or sports equipment.
Remember to choose furniture that is sturdy and can hold the weight of the items you want to store. You may also want to add additional support or reinforcement to the furniture to ensure it is stable and won’t tip over. With a little creativity, you can turn old furniture into functional storage solutions for your garage.
5. Use Vertical Space:
Using vertical space is an excellent way to maximize storage in your garage. Here are some steps to follow:
- Install shelves: Install shelves on the walls of your garage. Use sturdy brackets and make sure the shelves are level and securely attached to the wall.
- Use ceiling storage: Install ceiling storage racks or hooks to hang items such as bikes, kayaks, or other large equipment. This will free up floor space and make it easier to access these items.
- Utilize wall space: Install hooks or brackets on the walls to hang items such as shovels, rakes, and other tools. You can also use wall-mounted storage systems to store smaller items such as screws, bolts, and nails.
- Install a pegboard: Install a pegboard on the wall and use it to store tools and other small items. This will keep your tools organized and easy to find.
- Use stackable containers: Use stackable containers to store items such as holiday decorations or seasonal clothing. This will free up floor space and make it easier to access these items when you need them.
Remember to use high-quality materials when installing shelves, ceiling storage, and other storage solutions. You should also consider weight limits when storing items on shelves or hooks. By using vertical space, you can create more storage in your garage and make it easier to find the items you need.
Prioritize safety when working on any DIY project, and make sure that your storage solutions are secure and won’t pose a hazard to you or anyone else who uses the garage.
Maximizing storage space in your garage doesn’t have to be expensive or difficult. There are several ways you can create cheap garage storage solutions using recycled materials, DIY shelving, pegboards, repurposed furniture, and vertical space.
By following these steps, you can organize and store your items functionally and efficiently. Remember to choose high-quality materials that can support the weight of your items and use a creative approach to make the most of the space you have available.
With a little effort and ingenuity, you can turn your cluttered garage into a functional and organized space.
For more garage shelving plans, visit Storage Smart.